A Commitment to Environment, Health and Safety
Safety isn’t just a set of practices, it’s about people. We are recognized as one of the safest contractors in California. We have accomplished this not only by investing heavily in our safety program, but by building a true safety culture around it. It is our responsibility to send our people–and yours–home safe every day.
The results say it all. Over 10 million man hours and 14 years of no lost time injuries, a best-in-class EMR, consistent recognition from the CEA and healthy and vibrant people are proof that our program works.
The XL Approach to EHS
Over the past decade, XL has built a remarkable safety culture that seeks to continually improve at all levels. Consistently ranked as one of the safest commercial construction companies in the industry, our approach extends beyond traditional job site safety best practices. We take a holistic approach that integrates environmental and health principles as well, recognizing that a true safety culture is one that considers the safety and wellbeing of both the people and broader community and ecosystem surrounding our projects.
We believe environmental protection is as important as other traditional aspects of a safety program. Our team is leading the way in this forward-thinking approach for the construction industry.
Our ambitious initiatives include:
- Investing in alternative fuel, hybrid and electric-powered equipment as it becomes more readily available and viable for construction Identifying ways to monitor and improve air quality on all indoor job sites and at our offices
- Establishing a company-wide baseline for our project waste diversion rate and improve upon it by 50%
- Evaluating and developing a measurement standard for reducing our water use on our projects and at our offices
Our purpose to build to improve lives extends to improving our employees’ lives as well. Our employees are our most valuable asset and their mental and physical health and overall well-being is paramount to our success. Our ambitious health initiatives seek to challenge the historical mindset around mental health to move it out of the shadows and into the spotlight and better support those struggling with these issues.
Our resources and programs include:
- Partnering with mental and physical health associations to provide employees with the tools to recognize the leading indicators of mental illness and resources to help manage it
- Promoting heart health, allergy awareness and cancer awareness
- Educating our project teams on the importance of work-life balance and how it impacts both mental and physical health
- Offering employee wellness benefits such as regular health screenings and access to fitness facilities and trainers
- Providing blood pressure monitors in every trailer and office
- Hosting bi-annual health check events
- Providing ergonomic evaluations
Our consideration for safety begins long before a project even breaks ground; it starts with designing safety into each project during preconstruction. Every step of the way, it is our responsibility to create a safe environment not just for the project team but for everyone who lives, works and plays around a site. Our safety and project teams leverage lean tools and best practices that focus on prevention, anticipating and eliminating safety hazards before they occur.
Tools and techniques we use to achieve this include:
- Site-Specific Safety Plans
- Comprehensive Safety Training
- Dedicated Safety Management
- Risk Registers
- Leading Indicators and Near-Miss Reporting
- State-of-the-Art Safety Gear
- Safety Recognition Program
XL's Response to COVID-19
From the outset, we committed to supplying our employees, our clients and our partners with important information and resources to keep them up to date on the latest developments and ensure access to support as needed.
“...XL has exceeded expectations with the added safety precautions implemented and is to be commended and recognized for their continual efforts in setting the bar high for construction safety.”