ENR's Best of the Best 2022
The 20 projects recognized here are the result of a nearly yearlong effort by ENR editors and roughly 100 construction industry members who judged contest entries at various stages. Representing the pinnacle of U.S. design and construction achievements for work completed between May 2021 and May 2022, this year’s award winners show the industry at its best, with teams overcoming an array of challenges to deliver impactful community assets.
Responding to ENR’s initial call for entries in March 2022, nearly 700 project teams submitted entries. In each of ENR’s 10 regions, editors assembled judging teams to pick winners in 20 categories. Of those regional winners, almost 200 moved up to the national competition.
A new group of judges examined each to determine the Best of the Best nationally in terms of teamwork, safety, overcoming challenges, innovation and quality. Three projects were shortlisted as Project of the Year nominees, with the Regional Connector Transit Project in California selected for that top designation. Join us to celebrate these project achievements at the Award of Excellence gala in New York City April 13 and April 14. For more information, visit ENRAwardofExcellence.com.
- Airport/Transit – Regional Connector Transit Project
- Cultural/Worship – Audrey Irmas Pavilion at Wilshire Boulevard Temple
- Health Care – Children’s Hospital Hubbard Center
- Sports/Entertainment – Climate Pledge Arena
- Excellence in Sustainability – Dept. of General Services California Air Resources Board – Mary D. Nichols Campus
- Excellence in Safety – Meow Wolf Convergence Station
- K-12 Education – San Francisco Day School
- Higher Education/Research – The Fisher Center for the Performing Arts
- Landscape/Urban Development – Francisco Park
- Renovation/Restoration – Four Seasons New Orleans Hotel and Residences
- Office/Retail/Mixed-Use – 415 Natoma
- Government/Public Building – Ardie R. Copas State Veterans Nursing Home
- Interior/Tenant Improvement – BART Headquarters
- Small Project – Boundary Dam Spillway No. 1 TDG Modifications Removal
- Manufacturing – Genentech Clinical Supply Center
- Highway/Bridge – Chelsea Viaduct Rehabilitation
- Water/Environment – Cutter Lateral Reach 21 Water Treatment Plant and Associated Items
- Energy/Industrial – Riazzi Substation
- Residential/Hospitality – Lone Rock Retreat
- Specialty Construction – Port of Long Beach Fireboat Station No. 15 at Pier F
ASTM North America
Director of Rail and Transit
Steven T. Halverson
The Haskell Co.
Skanska USA Building Inc.
Senior Vice President, Construction
Scott P. Root Sr.
Executive Director of Strategy and Innovation
The Whiting-Turner Contracting Co.
Executive Vice President
Founder and President
Director of Client Development
Emeritus Eminent Scholar, Del E. Webb School of Construction, Arizona State University
Executive Vice President (Retired)
Iwasaki Consulting Services
Rachel Green Rasmussen
Architect and Principal
Vice President – North America Adaptation Solution Lead
Excellence in Safety Judges
Senior Safety Manager
American Contractors Insurance Group
Senior Safety Consultant
Excellence in Sustainability Judges
Sares Regis Group of Northern California
President, Commercial Division
Shefali H. Sanghvi
Director of Sustainability and Senior Associate